2016 Fitness Trends
The New Year means a lot more people will be out looking for workouts to get in shape for 2016 and that means that gyms, bootcamps and personal trainers will be fighting for their attention.
For the last 10 years the American College of Sports and Medicine have been conducting surveys of over 1000 health and fitness professionals worldwide to see what the biggest trends in the industry are and what gym’s, bootcamps and personal trainers will be offering their customers.
Every year the fitness world adjusts and evolves bringing in new elements to already established classes or bringing in new workouts for you to try. Five years ago no one knew what HIIT was but most classes have added elements of high intensity training because people expect it now.
So what will be the new trends that fit-pros will be adding to their workout routines? Here are the top fitness trends that everyone will be doing in 2016
1. Wearable Technology: I hear a lot of people talking about how many steps or how many calories they’ve burned that day and it’s all though the wearable fitness technology they’re wearing. Fitness trackers, smart watches and GPS tracking devices are everywhere now and it’s still a new industry that will only get bigger.
2. Bodyweight Training: As the tech side is taking off in a big way the other side is a lot of people want to get “back to the basics” with classes such as matwork Pilates and Yoga, which use body weight training and minimal equipment, making it more accessible and hassle free. In an ever more stressful world these Mind/Body disciplines also help people relax and destress.
3. High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT): People who are health conscience but struggle to find time to work out are more attracted to HIIT training. HIIT training involves short bursts of activity followed by a short period of rest or recovery. These exercise programs are usually performed in less than 30 minutes.
4. Strength Training. Strength training remains a central emphasis for many health clubs. Incorporating strength training is an essential part of a complete exercise program for all physical activity levels and genders. (The other essential components are aerobic exercise and flexibility.)
5. Fitness & Well Being Retreats: many busy people are seeking wellness escapes from their every day life. People find that even a one day retreat, where their focus is purely on their health and well being, without the usual demands of family and work, can ‘reset’ their happiness level, so that they can return to ‘reality’ feeling energised and able to manage life’s challenges better.
6. Personal Training. The one-to-one attention and accountability you get from a PT is still one of the best ways to achieve your own personal goals.
7. Functional Fitness. This is a trend toward using strength training to improve balance and ease of every day movements you make. Functional fitness and number 8 on the list or closely matched.
8. Fitness Programs for Older Adults. Populations are aging and quality of life is growing more people in the 60 plus range are trying to stay active and socialise more often, therefore many health and fitness professionals are taking the time to create age-appropriate fitness programs to bring in older clients.
9. Exercise and Weight Loss. In addition to nutrition, exercise is a key component of a proper weight loss program. Health and fitness professionals who provide weight loss programs are increasingly incorporating regular exercise and caloric restriction for better weight control in their clients.
10. Pilates. Still as popular as ever, Pilates utilizes a series of exercises which work on core strength, posture and injury prevention. It is practiced for health and relaxation and also develops strength and fitness.
Need an escape so that you can live life to its full happiness potential? Join me on my very special Bliss Retreat at the beautiful Cowdray Hall Midhurst on Sunday 31st January, where you will enjoy a magical mix of Pilates, Zumba, Stretching and Relaxation. Gorgeous healthy food and refreshments are included. You will leave feeling energised, revived and renewed!
Contact me at email@example.com for more details.