Did you know that dark chocolate, 70% cocoa or over, has some great health benefits in peri-menopause and beyond when taken in moderation?
Why is it so good?
- Cacao has nearly triple the antioxidants of green tea.
- Dark chocolate contains magnesium, great for aiding sleep, relaxing muscles and more;
- Cacoa contains vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B5, C, D, E; and minerals such as calcium, iron, zinc, copper, potassium, and phosphorus. These are essential for many functions of the body.
- Dark chocolate is a source of health healthy monounsaturated fats—along with avocados, nuts, and seeds.
- Dark chocolate made with at least 70 percent cacao has been proven to lower cortisol, the body’s main stress hormone. Another molecule in chocolate called phenyl ethylamine acts like a gentle antidepressant.
- Dark chocolate raises serotonin, the feel-good brain chemical in charge of mood, sleep, and appetite.
As with many things it’s about little and often: I love nothing more after a busy day than to have a square of my favourite dark chocolate and a herbal tea in my best cup…it’s like a warm hug, a bit of self love, we all need a bit of that eh?
How do you like to have yours?
(info in this blog was inspired by a blog by Dr Sara Gottfried)