Prunes are one of the superfoods in terms of mid life bone health (and core function – they help us prevent consipation, one of the saboteurs of optimal pelvic floor function!).
So I thought I’d share this simple recipe – perfect energy boosts for when you’re out and about….and the perfect post workout recovery snack!
(And don’t know about you, but I can get a bit ‘backed up’ when I go away on holiday, so a great way to keep you ‘regular’!)
Prune Energy Bites
- 20g organic dark chocolate
- 50g hazelnut butter
- 20g coconut oil
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 90g pitted prunes
- 25g raisins
- 50ml unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp fresh ginger
- Half tsp orange essence
- 15g acacia honey
- 35g omega sprinkle (sunflower seeds, flaxseed, pumpkin seeds)
- 4 tsps organic cocoa powder
Makes 10 energy bites
Each one contains: 112 calories, 8g carbs, 8g fat, 2g protein
- Melt the chocolate in a glass bowl placed in a container of simmering water (bain marie) and add the hazelnut butter and coconut oil.
- Stir well until combined.
- Place the cinnamon, prunes, raisins, almond milk, ginger, orange essence and honey in a blender and blitz into a smooth paste.
- Add the prune mixture to the chocolate mixture and sprinkle in the seeds.
- Mix well to combine, then transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for 2-3 hours, until set.
- Scoop out small portions and shape into balls. Roll the balls in the cocoa powder to give a light coating.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week.